Heathen Kindred in Laramie, Wyoming
Laramie, WY 82073
These are the laws that our Lawspeaker, Krista, came up with and our Chieftain and Gydhia only modified slightly. Krista chose to put them under the headings that she did so that the laws are easily remembered by our members.
I have noticed that most Kindreds do not put their laws online, and while I respect that it makes it difficult for we who are just starting out. We decided that our laws were general enough to put on the website and not bring any harm to our kindred, but if it turns out we were wrong we will be taking these down. The spirit of cooperation is great, but Kindred integrity comes first.
The laws are listed in groups in this order:
Laws from the Midwest Thing
Laws of the Thing
These laws, of course, are based on the idea of following the Nine Noble Virtues, and following our sworn word.
These are the laws that every member of our Kindred has sworn to follow. We also have a policy book of what each member is expected to do as well as these laws which are what they shouldn't do. The reason we put 'possibility of expulsion' behind each one is because these are the worst acts that we could think of that we would not tolerate being done in our Kindred or by our members.
The breaking of any Oath sworn upon the Oathring which results in a loss of Luck, wealth, and/or status for the Kindred will result in the swearer and any/all accomplices (being of the Folk) being brought before the Council for review, with the possibility of expulsion.
Any act committed which results in a loss of Luck, wealth, and/or status for the Kindred will result in the act-committer and any/all accomplices (being of the Folk) being brought before the Council for review for the possible payment of wergild and/or expulsion.
Any intentional act which profanes, obstructs and/or otherwise defiles a ritual will result in the act-committer and any/all accomplices (being of the Folk) being brought before the Council for review, with the possibility of expulsion.
The Kindred and its kith will be subject to all laws of the Thing if they are in attendance. Any violation will be brought before the Council for review, with the possibility of expulsion.
All other acts committed will be resolved by the people involved or arbitration and/or mediation, with the possibility of Council intervention if the acts are not resolved.
These are the the laws that the Kindreds that met at the Midwest Thing agreed upon as general rules.
1) Every kindred and tribe will be autonomous. Every kindred and tribe will have it's own leadership and the Thing will not interfere with the internal matters of any kindred or tribe.
2) The activities and efforts of each autonomous kindred and tribe will remain their own. The Thing serves only to coordinate efforts and allow tribes to work together more effectively. The Thing itself will not run or control any of these efforts.
3) At each Midwest Thing, the Lawspreaker will be elected for the upcoming year and the next Midwest Thing. The Lawspeaker is a facilitator of the Thing and not the leader. Leadership of the Thing lies with the Chieftains, Godthi's, and Elders of the involved Midwest kindreds and tribes.
4) Individual heathens, kindreds, and tribes are responsible for resolving their own conflicts and problems whenever possible. The resolution of problems brought before the Thing shall primarily be done by third party mediation by someone both parties agree too, whenever possible.
5) The Thing will be held annually at Lightning Across the Plains, in order to provide a centralized and inexpensive venue for heathens, kindreds, and tribes to most easily attend.
These are the laws that are in place at the Thing and must be followed while in attendance. I believe that some form of these laws was in place at the Midwest Thing in 2011, but this is what we expect our Kindred to follow along with any other rules specified at the Thing.
Frith in word and deed will be strictly maintained. Frith means 'peace.' No fighting, verbal or otherwise, no insulting others intentionally, etc.
No breaking the laws of the state or country you are in. Pretty self explanatory.
Clean up after yourself and others who are members of your kith or Kin. Leave the place the Thing is held in as good, if not better, condition than when you came. All other forms and traditions of Hospitality are also encouraged.
Our kindred decided to have our laws only cover the acts which would cause immediate trouble with the real possibility of removal from the Kindred. It is our thought that this method keeps it simple, straight forward, and allows people to try to work out their own problems first without us having to step in at every little argument. Since this is an experiment, as none of us have ever done this before, we will see in time.
We have decided to have a policy book, which we will NOT be publishing on the website, which outlines what we do want from our members, at least in the broadest sense. That way both sides, what we want and what we don't, will be covered.